WineCfg and DirectX options

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Mon Mar 19 08:07:59 CDT 2007

> Hi,
> implementing GLSL checkbox, OffScreenRenderingMode dropdown menu and
> VideoMemorySize textbox into winecfg would be easy.
GLSL is OK IMO, because some drivers(*cough* macos *cough*) have serious
problems with glsl. It could be included into the shader dropdown box. The
issue that needs to be dealt with is that we can't combine arb vertex shaders
and glsl pixel shaders or vice versa.

Video memory size maybe too. There are vendor dependent ways to read it, but
implementing them is pretty nasty(requires some private  to winex11.drv).
Altough we had that discussion a number of times already and we only agreed
on a registry key so far.

Offscreen rendering should have fbos fixed and made default, otherwise use
backbuffer(not pbuffer because backbuffer with aux buffers is cheaper). I
don't think it is a good idea to add it to winecfg

I don't think render target locking should be configureable as is. That
rendering should be fixed to catch NOP locks some games do(which does the
same as glFinish() on windows).

What I have considered is some performance vs correctness slider. With
decreased correctness things like render target locking or drawStridedSlow
are disabled. If the correctness is decreased even more some properly
implemented, but known to be expensive settings could be deactivated, like
smooth shading, per pixel fog(ok. not sure if that is expensive). Windows
drivers have such a setting, so why shouldn't we :-) . This slider could also
cover some software emulated features like vertex blending(if we ever get
that).
Of course we shouldn't pollute the wined3d code with if(someSetting)
statements either.