Prompts on what to do next after an install

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 09:18:13 CDT 2007

On 3/16/07, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/16/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:

[-snip-]

> If most users know what to do, what's the point of spamming them?
> Also, not everyone wants to install after a build.  A lot of people
> run wine from the build tree.  If a user is not familiar enough with
> the standard source build process to know that he should 'make
> install', then he should probably be installing from rpm in the first
> place.

Granted there are people who dont want to install, and who do run
directly from the build tree, however the people that do that are:

1) Most likely a developer, not a user
2) Knowingly doing so at their own risk, and that if something breaks
they are responsible for fixing it
and 3) not everyone uses a RH or Debian-based distro, and so not
everyone has access to install deb's or rpm's..

Regardless a message to install is just a message (not as if we are
forcibly installing), and it is only an idea mainly for consistency.

[-snip-]

> Running winecfg/wineprefixcreate isn't a part of the build routine,
> and I've never seen a build routine that said, now run our application
> using 'xyz'.  This is the same thing.  It doesn't even make sense in
> the first place though.  If you run wine and there is no existing
> directory at WINEPREFIX, then wineprefixcreate is run automatically.
> If the user already has a directory at WINEPREFIX and they run
> wineprefixcreate, nothing happens.  So in either one of these
> situations, telling the user after they've built wine to run
> wineprefixcreate will not make a difference.

Running winecfg and wineprefixcreate is not part of the build routine,
but it is recommended by the developers in 90-99% of all installs for
regular users.  wineprefixcreate does not get run automatically.  wine
does some similar things itself, but it doesnt do everything that
wineprefixcreate does, and that breaks things that ordinarily would
work.

winecfg is also not required as wine builds the drives etc, but
running it allows the user to setup their sound (which most users
want), and allows them to put their drives where they want to.
[-snip-]

> --
> James Hawkins

wine is about choice isnt it?  People dont have to take our advice and
install, or run winecfg/wineprefixcreate, but if that message is there
then it cuts down on bugs that are the result of users not knowing or
(like me) forgetting to do so..

--
Thanks

Tom

Check out this new 3D Instant Messenger called IMVU.  It's the best I
have seen yet!

http://imvu.com/catalog/web_invitation.php?userId=1547373&from=power-email