Being rude to users considered harmful

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Mar 20 09:42:20 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Now, I'm as much of a BOFH as anybody else.  Maybe more.
> But when I see a Wine developer telling users things like
>   "For me all VB apps have to go to /dev/null without exceptions!"

I guess people sometimes forget that you can code crap in any language. My
LISP code is only barely becoming acceptable after a year's worth of playing
in LISP. Similarly, I did write some printed circuit board printout code (to
print autotrax .pcb files) in VB5 in 1997, and I'm still OK with the way the
code looked, 10 years later. It was short, clean and simple, less than 1000
lines. The application was useful to me, and I don't think that there was
anything wrong with it being in VB5. It actually ported very nicely to Qt
3 -- it was just as readable, and linecount-wise almost the same as well. So
yeah, broad statements just don't cut it.

Cheers, Kuba