On bugs and docs

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 13:32:30 CDT 2007

On 3/20/07, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What's wrong with the components (besides the possible lack of
> components for some dlls) and the search page?

Well just that some of them are not very clear, wine-binary for one.
What would be an example of something that should go under that
component?  Some are nonexistent, keyboard/mouse problems outside of
games/dinput that dont cause a crash and aren't related to NLS..
Perhaps a component for keyboard and mice input.  Although now that I
think about it, dinput is a bit general too, because it handles so
much.  dinput IMHO should be split into keyboard input, mouse input,
and something else for joystick/gamepads/etc since there are different
people that work on those 3 distinct parts of dinput.

As for the search page, when I first saw it (when I was a new user) I
was inundated by it and had to thoroughly read each thing and try to
comprehend it..  Because the default search box at the top only
searches the summary.

We always say that users need to search bugzilla for their bug before
filing one, but nobody wants to have to unselect all of the statuses
(so that all bugs are searched), and then have to still go and setup
an advanced query just to search all bugs in their entirety for the
word winrar..

Example: I click Query bugs, and type winrar and hit search.  I get 3
bugs.  But if I unselect all of the statuses, then I get 9 bugs, and
if I use the boolean charts at the bottom, and do summary contains any
of the words winrar or comment contains any of the words winrar, then
I get 23 bugs.

I just think that mozilla (since we cant/wont) should give 2 search
pages with google-like functionality, 1 search box, you type what you
want to find, and hit search and it searches all of the bugs in their
entirety.  Then if you need a more advanced search then they show
everything on the current search page except for the boolean charts,
and if you need a fine-grained search then you can click a link to get
to the boolean charts..

On a side note, I just realized that there is a way to search the
comments without having to use the boolean charts, but that still
doesnt solve the problem of having to unselect all of the statuses so
that I can search all bugs..