Debugging Supreme Commander Installer

Stephan Rose kermos at somrek.net
Mon Mar 19 14:01:03 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 09:40 +0100, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am Montag 19 März 2007 01:49 schrieb Stephan Rose:
> > I've been playing around with the supreme commander install most of
> > today trying to figure out why it does not want to install. Running with
> > +file,+msgbox and noticed the following error for virtually all files:
>
> > So it seems that it freaks out because somehow the file appears in the
> > directory tree late.
> Sounds like a race :-) . I don't know anything about wine's msi and dcom
> implementation(which installshield uses heavilly). DCOM is about the most
> complex thing in Windows :-/
>
> One think you can try if that game works with windows 98 too is to use native
> msi 2.0 and / or native dcom98 . If that fails in the same way it is a bug
> somewhere else(ntdll / kernel), otherwise most likely msi or dcom. Dan's
> Winetricks may help with installing that. You need winver = win98 for native
> msi and dcom.

No luck there...but I am one step closer to tracking down the source of
the problem.

I found that kernel32 is calling RaiseException when the file that is
failing comes up.

So I went to check it out with +seh, this is the exception that comes
up:

trace:seh:raise_exception code=e06d7363 flags=1 addr=0x7ee4ca80
trace:seh:raise_exception  info[0]=19930520
trace:seh:raise_exception  info[1]=00334aec
trace:seh:raise_exception  info[2]=100f7058
trace:seh:raise_exception  eax=7ee37d89 ebx=7eeb8880 ecx=00000000
edx=100f18d8 esi=100f18d8 edi=00334ad0
trace:seh:raise_exception  ebp=00334a90 esp=00334a2c cs=0073 ds=007b
es=007b fs=0033 gs=003b flags=00200216

Anyone have any idea on what the exception is?

I've come as far so far as that it seems to be some MS Specific C++
exception. I've still got to find out what function this exception is
originating in. Going to try and figure that one out next.

Stephan