Improving DirectDraw OpenGL renderer for SoC?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Mar 21 16:15:34 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 20:32 +0100, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> The other issue is render target locking. This is essentially something that
> is not well supported by OpenGL. There are 2 extensions which can help to
> improve that, one is the pixel buffer objects extension, the other one is a
> nvidia only extension which does exactly the same as
> IDirectDrawSurface7::Lock. If neither of those extensions is available, or if
> pbos turn out to be slow too, we can only play tricks like watching the
> application's behavior and predict the area it will modify. I have started
> toying with that, the most important fragment is this:
> http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0526822/optimizer.junk

If it's the most efficient way to make it work, I see nothing wrong with
using an nvidia-only extension and then letting it be known we'd like
that extension as part of the OpenGL specification.

We'd likely want to catalog the various vendor-specific extensions we
use somewhere, though.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie