automatically running wineprefixcreate

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:01:36 CDT 2007

On 3/22/07, Jan Zerebecki <jan.wine at zerebecki.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 09:32:54AM -0500, Tom Spear wrote:
> > On 3/22/07, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> > >Winecfg should probably not allow moving the C drive; if you really
> > >want that, you have to know what you are doing, and do it by hand. Why
> > >do you want to move it at all?
>
> Yes, just too much can go wrong there, without special care.
>
> > Because I have a 20gb drive that Linux is installed on, and a blank
> > 40gb mounted at /mnt/d (there is no windows installed on it).  I want
> > wine to install its things to my 40gb, and just for no other good
> > reason than the fact that I am making an example of a normal user, I
> > dont want to move the 40gb from /mnt/d ..  IMHO if we are going to
> > give the users the option to put their c drive where they want to so
> > easily, we should make assumptions that they will want anything
> > installed there to be moved if they relocate it, or we should give
> > them a way to setup where their c drive is located before anything is
> > put there, instead of assuming that they want it located at
> > ~/.wine/drive_c ..
>
> How about you move your .wine to /mnt/d/ and make a symlink from
> ~ (or set WINEPREFIX)? That sounds like a much saner solution
> than moving your drive_c around from within winecfg.
Ok, so basically what I'm getting is that as a normal user, I'm
expected to know to make a symlink from ~/.wine/drive_c to /mnt/d ..
That is fine for me, I have no problem doing this, but my concern is
for average joe who is just starting out with linux, and doesn't know
what a symlink is.  They read the docs and get wine installed, install
some programs, and then later on find out that they can move their
wine drive_c to their secondary drive via winecfg.  So they do that
and then all of their apps are gone and they are like WTF?  So after a
lil bit of research they find out that wine didnt move their stuff, it
just made a link and they either need to move the stuff themselves, or
reinstall.

Wouldnt it be more sane for winecfg to make the symlink in the first
place, before they install anything?

As for making a symlink from /mnt/d to ~/.wine, which one person
mentioned, there are 2 problems with that.

1) Not all users want to setup their machine with their d drive
mounted at ~/.wine/drive_c
2) What about multi-user installs?  ~/.wine is specific to the user
that ~ belongs to.

--
Thanks

Tom

Check out this new 3D Instant Messenger called IMVU.  It's the best I
have seen yet!

http://imvu.com/catalog/web_invitation.php?userId=1547373&from=power-email