Sugestion: A few changes to the

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 12:02:10 CDT 2007

On 3/21/07, Giles Cameron <giles at gilesfreeserv.com> wrote:
> Robert Shearman wrote:
> > Giles Cameron wrote:
> >> After learning about the wine debuging output's level system, and seeing
> >> it be used for a while, I think its time we make a couple of new
> >> channels.
> >>
> >> They would be like the 'trace' channel, only for more spefic purposes,
> >> these could by default be compiled out, but when needed put in.
> >>

> > Trace isn't a channel. It's a level of debug output for the channel.
> >
> >> Their primary purpos would be for tracking down bugs in the API, ones
> >> that may not be as easy to find in a test case.
> >>

> > You need to be more specific about what you propose to add.
> >

> Sorry about the vaugness.
>
> What I mean is having more "levels" in there because it seems like they
> are being abbused right now, eg, it very well may be an error but it
> isn't of use to many people. so it should be put somewhere someone who
> is looking for it could easily find it, if they need it.
>
> Many of these thoughts come from bad experiences getting ANYTHING
> working. :/

I still have no idea what you're asking for.  What do you want people
to find?  If they need what?  I'm trying to wrap my mind around what
you're saying and pull something out, and the closest I'm getting is
that you feel the err's and fixme's that are output on the console are
useless to most people and you want those removed?  Well, for one,
they aren't useless but are very helpful in helping developers
diagnose a problem.  Also, if you want to turn all output off:

WINEDEBUG=-all

--
James Hawkins