Is Wine a platform for Codeweaver to make money?! Please help me understand.

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Mar 29 14:21:21 CDT 2007

Hi,

Getting common applications working is NOT the goal of wine. The goal of wine
is to write an open source reimplementation of the Win32 api. Those two goals
are related, but not exactly the same. The difference is how to deal with
hacks that are known to be incorrect but happen to fix an application. Those
are not accepted into wine, no matter which application they fix.

CrossOver uses Wine under its hood, and CrossOver's wine tree contains some
hacks to make Microsoft Office and other popular applications happy. However,
CodeWeavers contributes patches back and employs many major developers to
work on various parts of wine, including Alexandre Julliard, Robert Shearman,
Jakec Caban, me, and many others.

Neither Wine nor CrossOver are specifically targeted at games or office
applications. CrossOver supports some games(like Half-Life 1 and 2, World of
Warcraft, Prey), and my job is to work on Wine's Direct3D support.

I won't be able to convice you that the whole thing is not a conspicary
because I am a codeweavers employee, but maybe searching the wine changelog
for @codeweavers.com can convice you? (Though many codeweavers employees use
their own private mail address to send patches).

Regarding the hacks to get Microsoft Office running, the modified Wine source
in CrossOver is publically available at
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/source . You are welcome to locate the
hacks that fix Microsoft Office(I think their authors will kindly assist you
with that), clean them up and send them to wine-patches for inclusion. (on a
sidenode, a few weeks ago I noticed that some mirror had a broken copy of the
archive which did not unpack completely. I think it should be fixed by now.
So if the archive doesn't unzip its not conspiracy, it is a fault of the
provider of our mirrors)

Hope my explanations answer your questions,
Stefan