Excluding a Windows version from the tests

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sat Mar 31 03:49:09 CDT 2007

Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com> writes:

> It turns out we had a lof of failures with this test on win98. It looks like
> win98 doesn't assign a new handle when the same registry key is opened. This
> means that the close test close the main handle and we thus have an issue in the
> first test after that (which assumes to have a valid handle).
>
> The attached file uses the GetVersion to check for win9x, is that acceptable in
> this case? Or is just an extra RegOpenKey (with comments) enough?
>
> The todo_wine is only there btw. to don't have an error when run in
> win9x emulated mode. That brings up another question. Should all test
> succeed in Wine regardless of the emulated mode?

That's precisely why we don't want to add version checks in the
tests. It requires todo_wine, then to fix the todos we need to add
version checks in the code, which adds complexity and extra code
paths, for no benefit. There are a gazillion differences between NT
and win9x, and we don't want to replicate them unless strictly
necessary. The tests should simply be written in a way that works on
all platforms without version checks.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org