USB device support in wine

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Fri May 4 06:54:16 CDT 2007

On 5/4/07, Kuba Ober <kuba at mareimbrium.org> wrote:
> > There is no standard user-mode interface for accessing USB hardware -
> > there is no equivalent of Linux's libusb on Windows
>
> But there is, just that most vendors don't use it.

There is libusb-win32, but it uses its own kernel-mode driver.

Vista has a user-space driver framework for some types of hardware. It
supports USB drivers, and I think Microsoft did a backport to Windows
XP as well. Hopefully vendors will start to use it instead of writing
kernel-mode drivers, then we can easily use those drivers from wine
:-).

Damjan