winmm: Use a pipe for timer

Maarten Lankhorst m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com
Sat May 5 16:27:24 CDT 2007

Steven Edwards schreef:
> Hi,
>
> Even though backward compatibility is kept I worry about a couple of
> things. A lot of work was done on WinMM to make it portable to windows
> for testing and I don't like seeing new code to tie it back to unix
> even with the old code left in place. Also shouldn't there be a way to
> speed up the server performance instead? If this is accepted here then
> what about other areas of wine such as directx where timers similar
> may be used? Should we make this sort of patch global? I don't think
> so but then I don't know enough to no what the proper fix would be.
>
> Thanks
Winmm has a generic timer interface that you could probably use in d3d
as well. If windows doesn't have pipe.h and sys/pipe.h then we could
change it so that this implementation is only used if sys/pipe.h or
pipe.h is found. That should keep winmm portable while keeping speed on
both platforms. As for making this patch global: I don't know.

Maarten