msi ole automation: where to next?

Misha Koshelev mk144210 at bcm.edu
Tue May 22 09:41:14 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 13:49 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I doubt anyone knows the complete set of those functions
> that actually get used by real-world installers.
>
> I think your choice is either a) keep plugging along on msi
> automation on the theory that it's good for msi in general
> and might help a few as yet unknown apps, or b) put this
> on the back burner and go work on something known to
> be blocking some app you care about.
> - Dan

Thanks Dan.

One more question: Will the COMification of msi somehow require OLE
automation, as Mike's email excerpt seems to suggest (this would be
another reason then to continue implementing it)? If so, how?

> It will require the OLE interfaces (Session/Installer) to be working
> before the custom actions can run out of process.
(from Mike's email)

Thanks
Misha

p.s. meanwhile, I hope to submit a few shlexec.c patches in the next
couple of days/week as some of the DDE stuff does not seem to work as
native and this leads to a very minor Vector NTI problem