help: test subprogram can't be console app

Misha Koshelev mk144210 at bcm.edu
Wed May 23 20:05:59 CDT 2007

Hi all,

So I have run into a weird problem. I was writing a conformance test for
ShellExecute logic of when to use DDE and a little about how it uses it,
as currently the logic is incorrect and fails for some apps, e.g.,
Vector NTI (the fix is pretty easy, but I'd like to make a nice
conformance test to go with it).

Anyhow, shlexec.c conformance tests in shell32 have a nice framework
where the test program itself is associated with an extension, and I
just extended that to also allow a DDE execute and save the results. It
didn't seem to work (FILENOTFOUND error) except when the program was
already running, and then it worked fine.

Just to see what was going on, I made a very simple program (attached)
and used the following simple compile script to make 2 versions, one a
console program and one a regular windows program (with the -mwindows
switch). The -mwindows one allows DDE-based ShellExecute (or just
"start" command) opening just fine, whereas withotu -mwindows the shell
complains right away that the file trying to be started is not found.

So it looks like I need to somehow start a non-console test program from
within a test, any ideas on this?

Thanks
Misha

---

Script:

i386-mingw32-gcc -o console.exe -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -lshlwapi
-luser32 -lgdi32 -ladvapi32 -lkernel32 -luuid -I. -I../../../include
console.c
i386-mingw32-gcc -o gui.exe -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -lshlwapi
-luser32 -lgdi32 -ladvapi32 -lkernel32 -luuid -I. -I../../../include
console.c -mwindows