Alarming number of users getting hardlocks with Wine

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Fri May 25 17:16:13 CDT 2007

On Thursday May 24 2007 18:35, Rick Romero wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 11:19 -0700, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> > Reading the Ubuntu forums, I've noticed quite a few reports from users
> > complaining about Wine deadlocking their system - keyboard unresponsive,
> > with no solution but to restart the entire computer.
> >
> > Sometimes users report this problem after running ANY Wine process -
> > even winecfg.
> >
> > I'm not sure what's causing the issue.  At first I thought it was a
> > hardware thing (perhaps ATI's infamously terribly drivers), but would
> > that still prevent winecfg from working?  Wine is a user-level process,
> > it shouldn't be able to cause a hardlock under any circumstances, right?
> >
> > Anyone else seen these kinds of reports?
>
> Hi Scott - Not Wine related, but on Debian Sid OpenOffice 2.1/2.2, if I
> click a menu item it will randomly 'deadlock'.

	Execute this command:

apt-get remove openoffice.org-kde

	After that your OpenOffice shouldn't "deadlock" anymore. This is probably a bug and I don't know if it is already reported or not.

	What about "deadlocking" in general I have no such problem at all. My desktop PC works for me for months 24 hours per day without any problem. It should be noted that my use of it is very intensive, I have a lot of Windows big applications that I run everyday, games, virtual machines with regular heavy load, 3D-rendering of complex scenes, etc.
	I have GeForce7 and old PCI TNT card for second display. First one uses NVIDIA driver and other one free nv driver. My motherboard is made by Epox.
	So these "deadlock issues" are definitely hardware or maybe but less likely driver problems (software ones are unrelated and you always can press Alt+SysRq+K to restart X in such extremely rare case - for me at least it has happened only with OpenOffice and workaround above solve this problem). Makesure you have at least memory from good brand like Kingston (and not from Samsung or other "secondary" brand or "no-name"), that your videocard and motherboard is from good brand too, etc. and everything will work for you without deadlocks for months without any need of resets (of course resets will "happen" if you need to upgrade you PC or kernel).