some doubts about sendind patches - is text/plain way good?
Kirill K. Smirnov
lich at math.spbu.ru
Sat May 26 13:58:51 CDT 2007
В сообщении от 26 мая 2007 21:24 вы написали:
> I'll double check later, but are you sure?
> When I said I hadn't changed the patches, I meant the contents, but I had
> done a git fetch, git rebase origin on the branch (and resolved the german
> resource conflict) before resubmitting
I got the following messages:
patching file programs/cmd/Cs.rc
patching file programs/cmd/De.rc
Hunk #1 FAILED at 263.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file programs/cmd/De.rc.rej
patching file programs/cmd/En.rc
patching file programs/cmd/Es.rc
patching file programs/cmd/Fr.rc
patching file programs/cmd/Ja.rc
patching file programs/cmd/Ko.rc
Hunk #1 FAILED at 235.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file programs/cmd/Ko.rc.rej
patching file programs/cmd/Nl.rc
patching file programs/cmd/No.rc
patching file programs/cmd/Pl.rc
patching file programs/cmd/Pt.rc
patching file programs/cmd/Ru.rc
patching file programs/cmd/Si.rc
I noticed that German translations patch failed, checked git log, saw that
translation has been updated and panic. ;-)
I rechecked patch - it is ok, not outdated, but I still cannot apply it. Why?
I have only one consideration.
As I noticed, patches are sent with different MIME types. In wine-patches
mailing list different types are handled differently - if text/plain then
attach is embedded into body, if not text/plain (usually text/x-patch) then
attach is available via special URL link.
I do not receive mail from wine-patches mail list. Thus, to get the patch
sent with MIME text/plain I use select/copy/paste/save technique. If patch is
not text/plain, I just use "save link target" option in browser.
That patch was sent with MIME type text/plain, so I had to copy/paste it.
When I tried to save it via kwrite it complained about problems with UTF8
characters, but I did not pay attention and went on. While patching I got
messages I wrote before.
I've tried VIM as an editor to save too. It does not complain but file I get
is still unusable.
This make me think, that idea to sent patches with text/plain MIME type (as
recommended at http://winehq.org/site/docs/winedev-guide/style-notes) is not
a really good way.
Also there may be an encoding problem - while sending patches kmail (MUA I
use) asks me what enconding to use (7bit, 8bit, base-64). I always set 8-bit.
Now I am in doubts if I follow a right way.
P.S. sorry for rising up nonsence with Jason's patch. It is looks correct, I
cannot say more. ;-)
More information about the wine-devel