Bug triage, or spam?

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:14:37 CDT 2007

On 5/31/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/31/07, James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do read through all of your bug emails, which is exactly the
> > problem, because I don't trust that you make the right decision on
> > every bug, and in some cases I've had to go back and correct it.  That
> > is the issue.
>
> It has been a small number of cases..

That small number forces me to read the rest.

> > The statement still stands.  Resolved isn't resolved enough for you,
> > but closed is...If a bug is marked resolved, I'm pretty sure it's
> > resolved.
>
> Obviously someone that commits patches to the upstream bugzilla tree
> agrees with me, because otherwise, there either wouldnt be a resolved
> option, OR there would be a close option on the bugs that are in any
> state of open, which is something I have suggested before, to cut down
> on list traffic.

We are our own project, and we use bugzilla differently, just like
every other project out there has their own practices.

> > No one has problems with people correcting bugs that are marked
> > incorrectly, but of the 30 or so bugs a day that you change, this case
> > is a small amount.  If you *only* changed this class of bugs, then
> > that would be fine.
>
> I honestly dont see why it is such an inconvenience to you for me to
> close the bugs that are marked resolved.  You read thru every one of
> my emails because you dont trust my decisions, understandable, but if
> you are so worried about my marking a bug wrongly, then maybe you
> should stop developing, and strictly focus on helping clean up
> bugzilla,

huh?  That doesn't make any sense.  You're saying I should take even
more time away from development to check your changes.

> or the inverse could be true, maybe you could just trust
> that if I make a status change, it is the correct thing to do, and if
> not, then let someone else, who does have more time on their hands,
> catch it.

I'm not the only one that reads each change, and even if I were, and
someone else took over, it's still wasted time on their part.

>Like you said, it's a small amount of bugs that are marked
> incorrectly. Of that percentage, I represent an even smaller amount,
> and like I said, I dont blindly close bugs, I read the majority of the
> comments, especially the ones toward the end, and the initial report,
> and then make a change only when I am confident that it is the right
> change to make..

You continue to miss the point from the very beginning: you're trying
to fix a problem that doesn't exist.  There's nothing wrong with old
bugs being left as resolved and marking new bugs closed on a case by
case basis.

--
James Hawkins