Whitespace changes in an indentation patch, is it acceptable?

Dan Hipschman dsh at linux.ucla.edu
Thu May 31 15:46:40 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 02:23:59PM -0500, Tom Spear wrote:
> I recall a few years back (2003?) There was a discussion about
> removing extra whitespace at the end of lines, and someone came up
> with a bash/sed script to look thru the entire wine tree, strip
> trailing whitespace, and then somehow commit it (either with a really
> large diff, or by it being run on the machine that the upstream tree
> is on, I cant remember which).  Once that was done, the tarballs
> shrank by at least 1-2 megs in download size, and even more
> uncompressed.

I was curious, and got a really rough estimate of the number of files
with trailing whitespace:

$ find /var/work/wine/ -name '*.[chly]' | fgrep -v .tab | fgrep -v .yy \
  | xargs grep -c '[[:space:]]\+$' | fgrep -v :0 | wc -l

reported 1081 files.  Checking for trailing whitespace after a backslash
didn't turn up anything (which is good).  I hardly think getting rid of
trailing whitespace will shrink the tarballs by any significant amount,
though.