Bug triage, or spam?

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:25:29 CDT 2007

On 5/31/07, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Jesse Allen <the3dfxdude at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tom,
> >
> > This is how I finalize bugs:
> >
> > * When a bugs has decisively been fixed, by a merged patch, with test
> > cases, or reported by user been fixed, then I close it. If it's
> > decisively "not a wine bug" close invalid.
> > * When a bug is rumored to be fixed, forgotten, or simply doesn't
> > appear on your end, then probably resolve fixed, abandoned, or
> > worksforme appropriately.
> > * When the bug has been only set to resolved, and continues to have
> > erroneous activity (i.e. commenting from random visitors that don't
> > understand the report), then close it to discourage use of the bug.
> > * If it's a bug that I don't know anything about, I shouldn't touch it.
> >
> > So the reason is, only "resolved" could maybe get revisited, and
> > "closed" I never want to see again. Other than that, it makes no sense
> > to me to close bugs unless there is some activity related to it (i.e.
> > it is proved that an uncertain fix has really been fixed and the issue
> > is done). Simply closing bugs worries me as does James. It really does
> > need to be case-by-case, so what we know you are doing is right.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.  So if it is already resolved as
> anything other than fixed, just leave it alone unless it continues to
> get activity.  I still don't like it, but as with anything, majority
> rules, so I will stop.  Sorry for the spam everyone.
>
> --
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Remember that this is only my opinion. Other people handle things a
little different. It is probably true that the two recent bugs you
mentioned I would have closed, but it was only resolved. It's just how
it was handled. If you want to close bugs that are clearly done with
like that, it's fine by me. And I do close bug reports with other
status too, if it's one I really don't want to see again.

If it's clear why you are closing bugs, it's all fine by me, whatever it is.

Jesse