#winehq admin troubles

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 10:10:54 CST 2007

On 11/5/07, Kai Blin <kai.blin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 05 November 2007 06:12:42 Chris Morgan wrote:
>
> > I agree that this isn't something that should continue. Kicking should
> > be reserved for people being disruptive. There is no reason to be
> > anything other than polite to users asking for help.
>
> How much time do you spend in #winehq? I know I don't spend much time there,
> but I know it's a thankless job. four out of five people who ask for help
> there seem to
> a) expect you to drop everything you're doing to help them
> b) insult the person trying to help if the suggestion doesn't work
> c) threaten to go back to windows and expect you care.
> d) leave before you get around to answer

I've spent a ton of time on #winehq helping users. Not so much time in
the last few years though.

I like Vitaliy and I think he is a smart guy. I was the one that
suggested he use Vitamin as his nick. What I don't like is that he
takes his frustration out on users looking for help. User support is
inherently difficult, users are typically not knowledgeable, hence
their reason for asking for support. I just don't want to see people
being kicked/banned because they are having trouble understanding or
because they are resistant to taking actions that have been suggested.

If its frustrating to help users, take a break from it. If there are
repetitive questions lets work on sharpening up the faq. There are
other routes to take beyond escalating things verbally or
kicking/banning people from the channel.

> > Allowing this kind of behavior to continue reflects poorly on us as a
> > community.
>
> This is true, I'm not going to argue about that. However, I think your
> conclusion is wrong.

If the general consensus is that we'd rather have Vitamin helping and
we are ok with his behaviour then I'll support that. I'm just
explaining my position on the matter.

Chris