%fs, %gs on AROS hosted

Staf Verhaegen staf.verhaegen at skynet.be
Tue Nov 6 15:17:12 CST 2007

Hello wine developers,

I am an AROS developer (http://www.aros.org); that is an open source
implementation of the old AmigaOS. It has also the possiblity to run
hosted on other OSes and is thus very similar to wine. I know that this
group is for wine posts but I think I could reuse much of the knowledge
gained by the wine developers for AROS.

Recently there has been discussion about the use of the %fs and %gs
segment for AROS purposes and thus also for the hosted version.
As wine also has to handle these registers, I am interested to know how
wine handles these registers. Or doesn't wine have to take these registers
into account ?
I did download the 0.9.48 source code of wine and I only did find some
places where a proper saving and restoring of these registers was done. Is
there something I am overlooking ?

Currently wine seems to run on the following platforms:
    Linux version 2.0.36 or above
    FreeBSD 6.2 or later
    Solaris x86 2.5 or later
    NetBSD-current
    Mac OS X 10.4 or later
I found almost no OS specific code for each of the architectures in the
source. Are there special precautions to be taken in one of these OSes to
be able to use the segment register in user land code ?

My last question is related to an AROS version hosted on Windows. Would
Windows put any restrictions on the use of the segment registers for this
purpose. Is there a difference between 32bit and 64bit ?

thanks,
Staf.