Problem with client manually starting services

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Thu Nov 8 06:00:28 CST 2007

Roy Shea wrote:
> Howdy All,
>
> I'm developing missing services in Wine and am running into problems
> with how Wine starts services.  In Windows a service can be started
> using "net start <service name>", assuming that the service is
> properly added to the registry.  In Wine it appears that the user must
> manually start the service before calling "net start <service name>",
> or the service fails to start.

What makes you think that? There are quite a few programs, including
InstallShield, that start their own services without the process being
started beforehand.
You could start with pulling +advapi,+relay log of "net start" executing
to try to figure out what is going wrong. My guess would be that either
svchost or the DLL isn't notifying the SCM of its started status.

--
Rob Shearman