Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 09:25:17 CST 2007

Hi Colin,

> In particular, I am unfamiliar with the 'configure' executable
> described in your installation manual.

This script is produced by autoconf.  It's the way many (most?)
packages are built these days.

I'm afraid I can't provide very direct assistance, but your configure
log indicates something pretty basic is screwed up:

configure:2404: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2431: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It reports the failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "Wine"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "wine"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "0.9.37"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "Wine 0.9.37"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "wine-devel at winehq.org"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }

This is as basic a program as it gets.

So, try creating a similarly empty .c file by hand, and compiling it
yourself.  If you get a similar error, figure out what's wrong with
your compiler installation, and fix that.  If you don't, I don't know
what to tell you.

Good luck,
--Juan