alsa->pulseaudio->alsa directsound hang

Jan Zerebecki jan.wine at zerebecki.de
Sat Nov 10 17:20:52 CST 2007

I now tested wine (and mplayer) with pulseaudio through the alsa
plugin and it worked just fine. I'm positively impressed by
pulseaudio. The bug with alsa where it played random noise at the
start because the buffer was not correctly cleared also doesn't
appear with this setup. The winmm wave test hangs at some varying
point (but does not with plain alsa), but I didn't investigate
that, yet.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 01:24:20AM -0700, Al Tobey wrote:
> Did anybody actually write a patch to directly support pulseaudio or
> was the earlier discussion devoid of code?

Nobody showed up with any code. And AFAIK nobody who actually
codes on wine requested a winepulseaudio.

> My registry mods and .asoundrc for using the alsa/pulseaudio plugin
> are attached.   Getting pulseaudio is left as an exercise to the
> reader ;)

I didn't notice it the first time I read your mail, but you
didn't set pcm.!default and thus you manually need to select that
for alsa applications. Though you did that in the registry I
suspect it didn't work and wine tried the default. Pulseaudio
obviously blocks your soundcard as it requests a direct hw device
without dmix from alsa.

Jan