dlls/msi/string.c -- fix use of signed versus unsigned (RESEND)

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Thu Nov 15 10:29:38 CST 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, James Hawkins wrote:
>> ChangeLog:
>> Fix use of signed versus unsigned variables.
> This change is unnecessarily complicated.

How do you propose to address the following?

  string.c: In function 'msi_addstring':
  string.c:208: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
  string.c: In function 'msi_addstringW':
  string.c:260: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
  string.c: In function 'msi_string2idW':
  string.c:400: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned

> Also, the only actual bug of this type that was in string.c
> (comparison..always false) has been fixed:

Happy to hear that!

> All these patches to silence extraneous warnings makes me wonder whether
> you really understand the code or if you're just trying to get rid of
> warnings...

I'm mostly trying to get bugs fixed.  In the last couple of weeks my
patches have addressed several realy bugs and/or triggered others to
look into bugs, both of which I'd claim is a good thing. ;-)

Reducing the number of warnings is one way to catch regressions easier
and get bugs addressed (not all warnings really are due to real bugs,
of course, but that's hard to see up front).

And, no, I am not an expert of the entire Wine codebase, and certainly
not to the level you and others are for those pieces you maintain.  And
the MSI code apparently is one of the more tricky ones...

Gerald