winetest_interactive : how does it work?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Nov 16 08:18:55 CST 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Paul Vriens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just ran winetest (by double clicking on the executable) on my WinXP box. I
> was missing some advpack popups that were there before. Francois sent in a patch
> to only do some particular tests when winetest_interactive is true. I would
> assume that clicking on a executable is interactive, not?

No, it's not.
The application (winetest.exe) cannot tell whether someone
double-clicked on the exe in a file manager, whether it was started by
some sort of a cron job, or whether it was started by autorun when you
'inserted a CD in the drive' (which is what I usually do).

Plus the way you start winetest really tells nothing about whether you
want to run the extra tests (which are going to resize your screen to a
gazillion different resolutions, play tons of tunes, and ask for your
attention again and again). Maybe you just started the test before goign
to bed and expect them to run to completion and turn the computer off
without your intervention.

One possibility would be to add a checkbox to the winetest GUI that
you would check if you wanted to run the extra tests. Actually it would
be nice if it also let you specify the debug level to run the tests
with.

But right now the solution is to just do:

set WINETEST_INTERACTIVE=1
winetest.exe

        It really galls me that most of the computer power in the world
                          is wasted on screen savers.
                     Chris Caldwell from the GIMPS project
                       http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm