wininet: InternetAttemptConnect() Stub

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Mon Nov 19 08:30:58 CST 2007

Hi!
  I have a problem running an offline client for ordering photo prints from
digital cameras.
  Even it is an "offline" client, it requires the computer to be online.
  It seems that in wine, it feels to be offline, thus refusing further
operation with a dialog saying something like "Internet connection unavailable"
and terminating. The machine is normally connected to the LAN with full net
availability.
  The following is its full console log.

patrol at gonio:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/droxi/OfflineClient$ wine PhotoOfflineClient.exe
fixme:wininet:InternetGetConnectedState always returning LAN connection.
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x10030,0x00000000,255,2): stub!
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate (0x10028), partial stub!
fixme:win:LockWindowUpdate ((nil)), partial stub!
fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x199510)->(1)
fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stub

  I see two network related fixmes - the first one is very frequent but it
seems harmless, many programs are able to use the net even they issue such
a message. However, the second fixme looks more interesting, it looks like
that the program tries to activate the internet connection, which is of
course just a stub. Why is it doing so, I don't know.
  Is this information enough to find a problem (and maybe its fix) or is
more debugging needed ? What else to try ?