WineD3D: Implement detection of ATI cards with Mesa DRI drivers [try 3]

Roman Mamedov roman at rm.pp.ru
Thu Nov 22 09:00:15 CST 2007

Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> I would really ask you to use the D3DX_CAPABLE() macros as not using them can result in bad problems. E.g. a game assuming a certain d3d functionality is there while it isn't backed by any GL extension.

You certainly do have a point. I will redo the patch a bit later, but
before that, I have a couple of questions.

1) Checking real capabilities surely can be a good way to approximate
the level of used hardware. But could these D3DX_CAPABLE() macros be
considered reliable enough to use just them alone (and not the DRI
module names) for conceiving the card model? If this is so, then
checking of the Mesa renderer string could remain only for detection
that the card is from ATI (because it does not give any precise info
anyway).

2) Are there any plans to add D3D9B_CAPABLE and D3D9C_CAPABLE (and maybe
D3D10_CAPABLE too)? These would immensely help to identify the newer
cards. Currently, without such macros, the detection code can't safely
report that a card is anything more than the ATI's Direct3D 9
lowest-common denominator, Radeon 9500. (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon for a table of models and their
DirectX versions).

Thanks for the reply,
Roman.