Some thoughts about next GSoC

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 16:59:10 CST 2007

On Thursday 22 November 2007 20:30:46 Jesse Allen wrote:

> Well then it sounds like we want better written proposals. Yeah the
> goals for my project were very broad. I didn't intentionally do it
> that way, but it was more like at first, get it to work, sort of
> thing. And the design wasn't complete until a month in. The only way I
> could have done better was to have started earlier. Mind you, I
> actually did start in April almost two months early.

That's what I was talking about. We can't expect the students to know this.
They're just starting out working on real projects. But we as mentoring
organization should have more clue about how hard a project could actually
be.

> If I get to do it
> again, I will probably have a much more interesting proposal and have
> goals that I will know will have specific results in the timeframe.
> This is what I'm already considering, but that is because I am
> experienced in the program already. For new people, we will have to
> reach out to them and help them get ready early because they won't
> know what to do. Maybe we need pre-SoC mentors?

Well, that's why I'm beginning to discuss this now, and not a week before the
deadline. :) Thanks for your feedback so far.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin