xdg_user_dirs patches

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 05:58:29 CST 2007

On Friday 30 November 2007 03:35:14 am Francois Gouget wrote:
> I'm not sure we want to handle the desktop directory the same way. It's
> really a special case because applications often put their 'icons' on
> the desktop. So if the Windows desktop is just a symbolic link to the
> Unix one, the user will end up with a lot of 'xxx.lnk' files on his
> desktop. In particular these files will show the wrong icon: they will
> have the icon associated with 'lnk' files, instead of the one of the
> application they are supposed to start.

Just to note, Wine already does this. The desktop directory is linked to
~/Desktop by default, which is the X desktop directory for most systems. You
also should take into account that apps will sometimes place non-lnk files
onto the desktop that the user may expect to see (extracted files, downloaded
files, readme's, etc).