.NET going open source(sort of)

Stephan Rose kermos at somrek.net
Thu Oct 4 08:56:44 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 12:00 +0100, Chris Spencer wrote:

> This article [ http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2191754,00.asp ]
> sums up pretty well why this is a bad thing. As you can imagine if MS
> ever releases Windows source code under their stupid non-open open
> source licence, the consequences could potentially be disastrous for
> Wine and similar projects (ReactOS).

I have to say I find the legal situation with this stuff to just be
beyond ridiculous.

I mean if you put 2 programmers, of roughly equals skill level and
knowledge, that have never seen each other and don't know of each other
into separate rooms and give them the same problem to solve...chances
are, the code is going to look alike.

So I don't understand why these "Your code looks like my code" arguments
hold up legally. I mean this is pretty much the equivalent of Ford suing
GM over making cars with wheels because Ford also has wheels and they
look alike.

I mean sure, if it's a blatant copy & paste that is one thing...

But just because code, that implements the same functionality looks
similar?? Well of COURSE it looks similar...it is trying to do the same
thing!

I mean seriously, how does any of this stuff have legal ground? Is the
US system seriously that screwed up?

Stephan