PulseAudio as a sound output?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Sun Oct 7 16:01:10 CDT 2007

> I would like to suggest that eventually Wine would support PulseAudio as a
> sound output natively. I am already aware of Wine supporting ESD, which
> PulseAudio can use, but supporting PulseAudio natively I think would be
> much
> better.

Audio in wine is still a problematic area. The situation is already horrible because we have to go through several layers. Sound servers are an additional layer on top of lets say oss, alsa or other APIs. Alsa on its own is already very complicated to get working. A sound server will add more latency and so on. From a wine point of view what you need to use is Alsa and make that work correctly with pulseaudio.

I think that some day in the near future we might even drop esd and some of the other drivers because they are a hell to get working and to maintain them.

Roderick