PulseAudio as a sound output?

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 01:04:31 CDT 2007

On 10/7/07, Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> King InuYasha wrote:
> > I would like to suggest that eventually Wine would support PulseAudio as
> > a sound output natively. I am already aware of Wine supporting ESD,
> > which PulseAudio can use, but supporting PulseAudio natively I think
> > would be much better.
> There are already a couple too many sound drivers in Wine and none of
> which are great. Alexandre won't accept yet another sound driver in
> Wine. He would like to have one sound driver working perfect (probably
> winealsa).

Pulseaudio isn't "yet another sound server", it's a full-blown
replacement for all other sound servers. It mixes sound better than
alsa's dmix, it's a drop-in replacement for ESD, and it works even for
OSS applications using oss2pulse. Some of its interesting features
include per-application volume levels, RTP multicasts, the ability to
embed it within an application instead of running a separate server,
and a Windows port.

The reason it would be good for wine is because it (optionally) runs
in realtime (SCHED_RR) priority, and is designed for low-latency
playback. Even wine's latest alsa driver continuously stutters under
high CPU load (play back some music with foobar2000, while searching a
large PDF).

> bye
>         michael
> --
> Michael Stefaniuc               Tel.: +49-711-96437-199
> Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111

Damjan Jovanovic