PulseAudio as a sound output?

Adam Petaccia adam at tpetaccia.com
Mon Oct 8 12:30:38 CDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 23:07 +0200, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> Hello!
>
> King InuYasha wrote:
> > I would like to suggest that eventually Wine would support PulseAudio as
> > a sound output natively. I am already aware of Wine supporting ESD,
> > which PulseAudio can use, but supporting PulseAudio natively I think
> > would be much better.
> There are already a couple too many sound drivers in Wine and none of
> which are great. Alexandre won't accept yet another sound driver in
> Wine. He would like to have one sound driver working perfect (probably
> winealsa).

I'm not a developer, but I think Pulseaudio would be great for wine, not
becuase its "just another sound server" (which it can be viewed as) but
allows more complex configurations to be set up, because Pulseaudio is a
very good sound _mixer_, which allows the user (if he/she wishes) to do
some pretty cool thing regarding audio input and output.

Although I understand this isn't a high priority (shouldn't block Wine
1.0), it would be nice to have in 1.1 or 1.2