make test drill

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Oct 12 05:22:43 CDT 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Jeremy White wrote:
[...]
> I think a test that fails, or crashes a system because of a driver bug is a broken test.
> It's admittedly hard to write a test that will detect a vmware situation or driver
> bug and work around it, but I think that is what we should do.
>
> It's just like compiling without warnings.  Once there are no warnings, it's
> easy to make sure none creep in.  But once just a few are excused as being
> 'understandable', then a lot more quickly creep in, and no one pays attention
> to warnings.

I would add that if 'make test' crashes a user's X server or the whole
system, then that user will just stop running 'make test' at all (or
will run it in VNC if he is very very persistent), and will certainly
not set them up to run automatically and report the results to
tests.winehq.org. With people running 'make test' and reporting their
results being already so few and far between this is pretty bad.

So it's important that these issues be investigated and either worked
around in Wine, or a clear way of fixing them by upgrading the drivers
found and documented.

                  Dieu dit: "M-x Lumière". Et la lumière fut.