wnaspi and DVD Burner

Stefan Leichter Stefan.Leichter at camline.com
Wed Oct 17 15:38:59 CDT 2007

Hello,

i tried to make some progress with Ahead Nero, but now i'm stuck. I found the
NeroSDK-1.08.zip and inside the comand line tool NeroAPITest.exe. The source
code of NeroAPITest.exe is in the archive too. This makes finding the
problems easier.

Executing the comand 'wine NeroAPITest.exe --listdrives' the open function in
SCSI_OpenDevice fails first with ENOMEDIUM. Putting a disk into the drive the
command fails with errno 30 (Read-only). Opening the drive read only works,
but next is a write on the file descriptor that fails because it was opened
readonly ...

The scenario above fails only for my PATA DVD burner. My SCSI DVD reader and
my SCSI CD reader are working well with the command sequence listed above.

My OS is Debian etch (32bit) the burner is a Plextor PX-716A.

Is the reason for this the difference between IDE and SCSI in the kernel?
Is it a fault of the DVD burner device (firmware)?
What might be a workaround for the problem?

Thanks for your thought

Stefan