Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.10 + WINE vs. Windows XP

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Sat Oct 20 05:44:06 CDT 2007

Am Samstag, 20. Oktober 2007 10:40:33 schrieb Scott Ritchie:
> speedator wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> > new benchmark-test at phoronix.com:
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=882&num=1
>
> Wait, they tested 3D Mark 2001 and 3D Mark 2003...
>
> Weren't those the exact same benchmarks NVidia was found to be cheating
> with by including hacks into their drivers on Windows?  No wonder they
> found Windows to be faster in the graphics tests!
>
> Can anyone find a real (ie, not rigged on Windows) benchmark to use?
Yes, our own (nonexistant) benchmark. I'm afraid that is the only way.

That's a bit much of an effort, but we can also tests where we have the source
code available and can modify and recompile it, for example the sdk samples.
Those aren't benchmarks, but they give us a rough understanding where our
problems are. Just recompile them with gcc to break potential checksumming by
the driver, change the filename and run them on windows and wine.

SDK samples aren't suitable for general game benchmarking, and they don't make
themselves as good for advertisement, but they are helpful for development.