icmp states I need to be running wine as root

EA Durbin ead1234 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 21 15:56:35 CDT 2007

I tried to update the Ocean application as outlined in bug 8332 and got a message from the console stating I needed to be running as root for ICMP to work. I thought wine was not to be run as root, is this not correct?

    int sid=socket(AF_INET,SOCK_RAW,IPPROTO_ICMP);
    if (sid < 0) {
        MESSAGE("WARNING: Trying to use ICMP (network ping) will fail unless running as root\n");
        SetLastError(ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED);
        return INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE;
    }