Lots of 'make test' failures on Windows

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Oct 25 12:38:17 CDT 2007

"Juan Lang" <juan.lang at gmail.com> writes:

>> There's a lot of machinery needed on a box to rebuild wine, and
>> Windows boxes typically have no development tools whatsoever.
>
> Okay, but the toolchain to build winetest is relatively small, isn't
> it?  Could we include that in the Windows version of the tests in
> order to speed up our response to a test that fail in Windows?

There's no real reason to speed this up; Windows is not changing,
unlike Wine, so we don't have to catch regressions, it's fine to come
back and fix tests after the fact.

If we require tests to pass on all Windows versions before getting
committed it will drastically reduce the number of tests accepted,
with little benefit. In most cases tests fail on some Windows boxes
because they are too strict in the behavior they expect, and that's
not a problem for us.

The only cases that we should really worry about are tests that fail
the same way on all Windows versions, because it shows that the test
is expecting the wrong thing.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org