bug 9986

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 25 17:58:14 CDT 2007

On 25/10/2007, Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tests would also be useful here as well, so that there is not a regression.
>
> That's good general advice, but hard to implement without a serial
> device to test against, which our test systems won't have.

You could always skip the tests when a serial connection is not
present. That way, you get coverage on systems that do have them. It
should be possible to configure Virtual Machines that have serial
ports suitable for use in these tests.

If there are other factors that make this complicated to test (such as
getting repeatable results from the serial devices on machines that
have serial ports configured) then it is not worth the effort to
create tests for this case.

Are there any existing tests for the serial port code? If there are,
that would suggest that this is possible.

- Reece