New Wine help and discussion forum

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Oct 29 19:03:19 CDT 2007

[Hmm, I thought you wanted to take the discussion offlist,
but I see you forwarded to the list.  Here's a catchup message.]

On 10/29/07, Dan Kegel <dank06 at kegel.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/07, Tom Wickline <twickline at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > My stated goal is to not increase the number of
> > > discussion forums / mailing lists, yet still appeal
> > > to the "I hate email" generation.  I think the
> > > google groups front end for the existing mailing
> > > list comes pretty close to that...
> >
> > So your goal is to have a single point for discussion?
>
> No, my goal is simply to not make the situation worse.

[There were more messages after that.  Here's the key bit:]

Tom wrote:
> Whats so bad about both Google groups and a forum? If you try to pull
> as many people as you can toward the groups and I do the same for the
> forum. then if we get 90% of the discussion on two groups its better
> then what the situation was yesterday... do you agree with that?

I replied:
Having one more forum dilutes the community. ...

> If you try to pull
> as many people as you can toward the groups and I do the same for the
> forum. then if we get 90% of the discussion on two groups its better
> then what the situation was yesterday... do you agree with that?

Not really.

That said, I can see your vision, and I agree there is some small chance
it might succeed and improve the situation.

The real issues are mixed up with a culture war (email vs. forum),
which makes the discussion a bit murky.  C'est la vie.
- Dan