Hmm. Cider and the LGPL

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Sep 3 14:04:21 CDT 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 30. August 2007 22:26 schrieb Dan Kegel:
> > it'd be nice to have responses to questions like
> > "The LGPL seems to give users the right to remove
> > the LGPL'd portions of Cider from game A and use it
> > with other apps.  The gamers who are currently doing this
> > are also copying proprietary parts of Cider, which isn't allowed.
> > How will Transgaming prevent the copying of the proprietary
> > parts of Cider without preventing the copying or modification
> > of the LGPL portions?".
>
> Well, just link everything to the game and ask the 'porter' to rebuild the
> LGPL'ed parts from source. I don't think the LGPL requires the binaries to
> be reusable, the source should be enough. Or ask people to use Wine for
> that business.

My understanding is that it must be possible to change the LGPL part to to a
modified one.

In cases where the LGPL code is in a native shared library or in this case
also in a DLL, it can be replaced by rebuilding that module from source and
replacing the respective library file.

In cases where the LGPL code is statically linked into an application, the
rest of the application needs to be available in re-linkable form, e.g.
object files.

Cheers,
Kevin