nhelp, Vector NTI, molecular biologists

Jakob Eriksson jakob at vmlinux.org
Fri Sep 7 06:39:57 CDT 2007

Francois Gouget wrote:
> Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> [...]
>> Missing MFC42 and other redistributable DLLs is a showstopper for
>> winelib
>> and running windows code on non i386 archtecture...
>
> Well, not quite. If you're going to use Winelib it means that you have
> the source of the application. And if it is using the MFC it should
> mean that you have a Visual Studio license, and thus the MFC sources
> (though maybe that's only in the 'Pro' edition or some such). So then
> you should be able to recompile the MFC using Winelib. That's exactly
> what I did five years or so ago. I had to trim quite a few things but
> got something that was somewhat usable. I did not pursue it further
> though.
>
> Modern day MFC probably changed a bit (did it really change much?),
> but then Winelib should be much better too. The real issue is the
> license. In the Visual Studio 6 era, it seemed like it was legal to
> redistribute the MFC dll with your non-trivial application, with no
> mention of the platform. This might have changed since, and in any
> case that's something you'd want to check with a lawyer.

In Visual Studio 6 it was allowed.
In Visual C++ .net, it says not only "only in object code form" and
together with a product that "adds significant and primary functionality
to the Redistributables", but also:

"Redistributables only operate in conjunction with Microsoft Windows
platforms".

I believe this is a direct response to Wine being rather useful.

Also, end users may not distribute the Redistributable further.

(Of course, programs developed with Visual C++ .net may still be
distributed, but this license covers Microsofts
copyrights on their redistributables.)

regards,
Jakob