old dos/windows program crashing

Joris Huizer joris_huizer at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 05:37:54 CDT 2007

Hello,

I have a program, that I got like ages ago. It
effectively is an atari emulator for dos, by the name
"pacifist", but I originally got it installed under
windows ME.  It has an old atari-basic program
"installed" in it, (a simple game) written by a friend
in it, which I wanted to play.
I decided to try to get it to run again under Linux.

The website it came from originally doesn't seem to
have the program available for download anymore - so I
just copied the files from the windows ME disc.
I obviously tried WINE then, but it didn't work,
however, dosbox works with it (though slow, obviously)
so I know I'm not missing required files (though,
perhaps, registry settings - not sure how likely that
is, though)

Anyway. This isn't such a big deal, though I'd like to
look at what's going on in WINE, and possibly fix it -
though I need help here.
This program is, among things, a "PMODE W/DOS
Extender" - so that means it probably does some
obscure real-mode/protected-mode stuff.

Console output is as follows,

Warning: unprotecting memory to allow real-mode calls.
         NULL pointer accesses will no longer be
caught.
err:int:__wine_emulate_instruction mov cr0,eax at
0x00000544
err:int:DOSVM_Int33Handler int33: unknown/not
implemented parameters:
int33: AX 0015, BX 0003, CX 11f7, DX 1165, SI 0055, DI
03ac, DS 11df, ES 11e7
fixme:int:DOSVM_Int10Handler Select vertical
resolution - not supported
fixme:int:DOSVM_Int10Handler Load ROM 8x8 Double Dot
Patterns - Not Supported
fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler physical address
mapping (0x00000000) - unimplemented
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to
0xffffffff at address 0x101f:0x0003ed71 (thread 002d),
starting debugger...
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize
address 08f0:00000002 (mode 0)
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize
address 08f0:00000000 (mode 0)

Also I attached the visual display the "winevdm" shows
as the program crashes. (It seems it crashes somewhere
in generated code in kernel32.dll - in
DPMI_PendingEventCheck() - written by the winebuild
tool)

I know some things about real-mode code, but not too
much. Could you give me pointers on what to look at
next?

BTW, please CC me, I'm not on the mailing list
currently.

Thanks,

Joris

http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html