Pulse Audio -- Wine should have instructions on this web site

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 14:28:23 CDT 2008

James Hawkins wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani at redhat.com> wrote:
>> James Hawkins wrote:

>>  > And I believe Julliard rejected the idea of adding a pulseaudio driver.
>>  Nope! He isn't against a pulseaudio driver. He is against yet another
>>  broken and half implemented driver for the desktop sound system that
>>  happens to be en vogue at the moment.
>>
>>  I think he would love to see a clean, full implemented pulseaudio
>>  driver; presented in a nice easy review-able patch series which cleans
>>  up the wineaudio driver mess en passant.
>>

> "No, the right answer is to make the Alsa driver work right. We need to
> stop rushing out to write a new driver every time there's a problem with
> an existing one, all it leads to is more broken drivers."
> -Julliard
>
> http://winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2008-March/063755.html
Right, forgot about that one. But I am still sure he would accept a
"perfect" full featured and beautiful written pulseaudio driver. What he
doesn't wants at all is wasting precious Wine developer time on creating
one in his Wine git repository. And having it rot there because in 1-2
years all of todays pulseaudio proponents will complain how broken
pulseaudio is and how much better this "yet another audio system 2.0" is
and why Wine _needs_ to implement that one.

So if one of the proponents of pulseaudio for Wine would just go ahead
and start writing one, for example on git.or.cz Alexandre wouldn't mind
at all. Convincing the distributions to include the pulseaudio driver
should be an easy selling especially for Fedora and Ubuntu who seem to
move to "pulseaudio will fix everything".

bye
   michael "who fixed the sound on his desktop by removing pulseaudio"