Pulse Audio -- Wine should have instructions on this web site

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 17:26:40 CDT 2008

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Right, forgot about that one. But I am still sure he would accept a
>> "perfect" full featured and beautiful written pulseaudio driver. What he
>> doesn't wants at all is wasting precious Wine developer time on creating
>> one in his Wine git repository. And having it rot there because in 1-2
>> years all of todays pulseaudio proponents will complain how broken
>> pulseaudio is and how much better this "yet another audio system 2.0" is
>> and why Wine _needs_ to implement that one.
>
> What I really want is for all the people who are clamoring for yet
> another driver to pitch in and start fixing the alsa driver instead.
Right but you _cannot_ force people to do that. If they just go ahead
and setup a separate Wine repo they can work on pulseaudio all the day
and nobody can stop them. That's the OSS reality and git makes that very
easy to do.

> Once this is done and we have demonstrated that we can actually make one
> driver work 100% correctly, then we can consider adding another one.
It is your tree and given the history the only sane approach for your
("The Wine") git tree. But that's the centralized approach and I would
love if people would start moving away from that.

Compare
"Hey guys, pulseaudio is the uber cool must have audio system of the
future. I went ahead and added a pulseaudio driver to Wine. Here is the
link to my git tree."
"Bitch bitch moan everything else sucks but pulseaudio bitch bitch so
you guys go ahead and implement it in Wine."

I prefer the first version but i probably listened to often to Linus
about the advantages of git and the distributed development model.

bye
	michael