Pulse Audio -- Wine should have instructions on this web site

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 07:49:36 CDT 2008

Andreas Bierfert wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:58:04 -0700
> Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>
>> PulseAudio will take off exactly because Ubuntu is using it.
>
> Just to remind you that Fedora has been using it before :P
>
> Anyway, I had to deal with a lot of people when F8 hit because wine was not
> working with the default fedora install. Not everything was perfect in the
> fedora setup of pa then and it probably is not now, but for the near future
> that is where sound in fedora is going.
Until the easy stuff that everybody implements (mixer, interface to the
ton of other sound systems) is finished. Fixing the bugs and the odd
cases will not be sexy. Interest in PA will fade away, the fan boys will
move to the next cool thing for which they can go out preaching and
trying to convince the people of The Right Way. PA will start to rot and
count as broken by design. Then the next sound system will emerge "to
fix" all the PA breakages. Fedora and Ubuntu will move to this next uber
cool sound system. Rinse repeat.

I would love to have a sound system that sticks around for a while. But
I really doubt that that will be named PulseAudio.

bye
	michael