Pulse Audio -- Wine should have instructions on this web site

Jan Zerebecki jan.wine at zerebecki.de
Sun Apr 6 05:27:51 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 01:46:18AM +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 17:08:06 schrieb Bryan Haskins:
> > I'm more interested in a direct pulseaudio gateway for Wine... since by
> > application sound control is the biggest thing here for most people....
> > wine is treated as one big audio blob. Pulse sees it as one thing.
> Isn't that a PulseAudio limitation? I am sure that Wine opens a new Alsa
> connection for each Windows application that uses sound. I don't know how PA
> groups the input, but it can surely find different Wine inputs from Alsa.

Yes, more precicely it's about how the alsa->pulse plugin tries to
identify different applications. It gets the real process name (the
loader), not the one wine changed to. The plugin could use that, but it
would also be nice if the plugin would take an optional argument to set
the name explicitly like on can with the pulse api.

Jan