Pulse Audio -- Wine should have instructions on this web site

Jan Zerebecki jan.wine at zerebecki.de
Sun Apr 6 13:38:14 CDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 12:49:53PM -0500, John Klehm wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Jan Zerebecki <jan.wine at zerebecki.de> wrote:
> >  It results in the behaviour that the user would expect. E.g. that one
> >  game you start retains the same settings everytime it creates a primary
> >  buffer (thus that it retains the settings on the next start) and the
> >  voice chat client also always retains it's separate setting.
> >
> >  I'd expect most pulse using applications use one identifier for their
> >  whole application (and the same one on each start).
> >

> I guess this whole system provided per app sound preference thing
> seems weird to me.  From a  design stand point, does it not make sense
> for apps that use sound to expect they should maintain their own sound
> settings and reuse them on startup.

That would mean duplicate code for every application... With that
logic defined in a central place you can change it, like group
configurations together, e.g. all your games use the same volume setting
but your voice chat uses another.

> To design this into the system seems like a workaround for apps that
> fail to properly maintain their own sound preferences. Wouldn't it be
> better to patch those apps?

Besides the application doesn't even know about such things as on which
physical output it's sound plays...

Jan