appDB: Nice URLs live demo and code review

John Klehm xixsimplicityxix at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:05:02 CDT 2008

Give nice urls a whirl at:
http://appdb.klehm.net/app/"yoursearchtermhere"

Search Examples:
http://appdb.klehm.net/app/adobe
http://appdb.klehm.net/app/visual

Direct Link Examples:
http://appdb.klehm.net/app/photoshop
http://appdb.klehm.net/app/command-conquer-red-alert-2

See the nice urls being used internally:
http://appdb.klehm.net/appbrowse.php?iCatId=5

Right now as it is I have it indexing only the app family names; no
versions or vendors get any love.

There is one piece of functionality missing before this can go in and
that is to do an index of a new record upon creation.

If anyone wants to test just apply the patch set and then flip
APPDB_ENABLE_NICE_URLS_INDEXER to true and then run: runIndexer.php.
Be sure to flip enable indexer back to false before doing anything
else =P.

You also need to set allow_url_fopen = On in your php.ini.
If this is deemed to be unacceptable then we have to functionalize the
objectManager.php file so matchByVerbAndTerm can generate similar
output.  Using url fopen allows easiest integration.

After that you should be good to go to test.

Essentially less terms will work better and the matching "nice" name
depends entirely upon whatever the maintainer entered for the app
family name.

Let me know if any changes need be made otherwise ill send it in later
this week.

Regards,
John Klehm